Food Safety Program: Temporary Food Facilities (TFF)
A temporary food facility (TFF) is any person (or organization) intending to sell, give away, or sample food to the public from a fixed location for a period of time, not to exceed 25 days in a 90-day period, in conjunction with a community event.
Obtaining a Permit
Refer to the Fee Schedule in the Helpful Links for information on application fees. Send all application forms and documents to:
- Environmental Health Section
- Attn: Food Safety Program
- 1390 Market Street, Suite 210
- San Francisco, CA 94102
Temporary Food Facilities at Special Events
Each TFF requires a permit in addition to the permit obtained by the sponsor controlling the event. The sponsor is responsible for complaince at each event as well as the timely submission of all applications, fees and site plan. To help calculate the total fees due, review the fee worksheet (pdf). Also available in Spanish (pdf).
- Sponsor Organizer Application (pdf)
- Food Concessionaire Application (pdf) to be completed by each TFF. Also available in the following languages:
TFFs at farmers markets must also obtain a permit to operate. To help calculate the total fees due, review the Farmers Market Fee Worksheet (Spanish). (pdf)
- Farmers Market Sponsor Application (pdf)
- Farmers Market Concessionaire Application (pdf) to be completed by each TFF.
Body Arts at Special Events
If there will be body art or body modification booths at the event, the sponsor and individual vendor(s) must apply for a permit. Please contact the Health Department's Tattoo, Body Piercing and Permanent Cosmetics Program for any additional requirements.
- Temporary events sponsor application to operate body art booth (pdf)
- Body Art Vendor Application (pdf) to be completed by each vendor.
Important Deadlines for Special Event Permits
14 Days or More Prior to the Event: All completed applications and fees must be received.
13 Days Prior to the Event: All completed applications will be assessed a 50% late fee.
7 Days Prior to the Event: Applications will be denied and no food or beverage servce shall be allowed.
Other permits or approvals may be required by the following agencies for temporary food facilities:
- San Francisco Fire Department (open flame or a generator used) - (415) 558-3300.
- San Francisco Department of Public Works (sidewalk used) - (415) 554-5810.
- State ABC (alcohol sales) - (415) 356-6500.
- San Francisco Police Department (public property used) - (415) 553-1115.
- San Francisco Recreation and Parks (park property used) - (415) 831-5500.
- SF Department of Public Health's Tattoo, Body Piercing and Permanent Cosmetic program (body modification permits (i.e. tattoos) required) - (415) 252-3971.
- San Francisco Recycling Board (recycling) - (415) 554-3434.